This time of the year is very busy for many people! You have parties, events, dinners, lunches, family and friend get togethers to attend, and all of these gatherings are surrounded by lots of food and normally these foods are highly processed, high in sugar and considerably unhealthy.
On average a person puts on 2-4 kilos over the Christmas and holiday period so committing to a pre-holiday cleanse can be an excellent way to avoid this possible holiday weight gain. If you are planning on doing a cleanse in preparation for a healthy Christmas and New Year, here are our best tips to fast track yourself into success.
Ideally we suggest 7 full days to prepare for your cleanse but when you are short on time you can fast track this down to 3-5days in preparation.
- Start cutting down on your caffeine intake by at least 50%, replace this 50% with non-caffeinated herbal teas, filtered water and coconut water.
- Completely avoid all alcohol, soft drinks and nicotine if possible.
- Avoid all processed foods that include sugar, white flours, baked goods, desserts, fried food, fast foods, processed meats and other packaged foods.
- Include fresh fruits and vegetables with every meal and snacks via salads, steamed or sautéed vegetables, soups, smoothies and juices.
- Include organic foods as much as possible during this preparation period, I particularly recommend including the dirty dozen as organic if possible. If too expensive/hard try purchasing from farmers markets or fruit markets rather than supermarkets.
- On rising consume a warm/hot water with ½ fresh lemon daily. You can also add some freshly grated ginger.
- Avoid all red meats including pork, beef, lamb and other wild game.
- Work on further reducing your caffeine intake.
- Continue to enjoy lots of fresh produce using healthy oils such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado and macadamia oils. Use vinegars, spices and herbs to flavour your food.
- Remember to keep well hydrated .
- Avoid all chicken, eggs and fish.
- Avoid all caffeine containing beverages (you can include green and yerba mate tea if you really feel you can’t stop caffeine 100%, 1-2 cups maximum per day). Teas such as dandelion, rooibos, peppermint, fennel and licorice will support your cleanse process.
- Consume vegetarian based protein such as legumes (beans, split peas and lentils), wholegrains (quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth and wild rice), nuts and seeds.
- Avoid all dairy products such as cheese, yogurt, milk, creams and butter.
- Include healthy milk alternatives such as unsweetened nut milks, rice milk and coconut milk.
- Work on getting as much rest as possible.
- Write down what your intentions and goals are for this cleanse and after. Remember this is a great way to reset your system to engage yourself into a healthier you.
- Spend all day consuming ONLY fruits, vegetables, salads, smoothies, juices and soups.
- Stop all non-prescription supplements and over the counter medications if possible.
3 Day Preparation: To fast track your cleanse preparation into 3 days:
- Day 1 (follow Day 1 tips )
- Day 2 (combine Day 2 & 3 tips)
- Day 3 (combine Day 4 & 5)
For social occasions: If you are attending parties and events during your preparation or cleanse period it is highly recommended to drink a juice or smoothie or eat a healthy plate of food before you leave and take something with you to sip on or nibble on during the party to avoid the party food if possible. This can be a great time to share with others about what you are wanting from this experience.