This is a very common question and an important and excellent one! How long should you cleanse for depends on what you want from your juice cleanse. This is a very personal thing!
Common benefits seen are improved skin appearance, weight loss, clearer thoughts, improved moods, better digestion, improved sleep, optimal energy levels and reduced cravings. These health benefits are often seen very quickly during a juice cleanse in combination with the preparation period.
- Short cleanses of 1-3 days are excellent for budging a small amount of weight off to start the process of weight loss by following a healthy eating plan in combination with daily juices. This time frame is also beneficial to reduce bloating and cravings for all the wrong foods to help the success of a healthier new eating plan post cleanse.
Once we are nourishing our bodies with a high intake of phytonutrients, our body then remembers how to crave the right stuff. Avoiding all those addictive foods such as MSG, sugar, salt, refined carbohydrates, soft drinks, caffeine, alcohol and fried foods for those 5 days in preparation combined with the 1-3 days of juice fasting and you will be right back on track to a healthier new you.
- 3 days of juice cleansing may also support improved energy levels, clearer thoughts, improved digestion, better moods and deeper more restful sleep.
- Moderate cleanses of 4-6 days are suitable to move along more unwanted weight combined with the above results to a greater extent, plus additional health improvements with various health concerns such as arthritic discomfort, trickier skin ailments, improved energy, reflux and digestive health concerns to name a few.
It is important to note that these results may differ for some individuals completing this cleanse. If you have not experienced these results it is important to make sure you are consuming the right amount of fluids in combination with the set menu plan. Don’t skip anything!!
The more chronic a health concern the longer it may take to start seeing results, the juice cleanse and preparation period will start to move things along but you may need to extend this period combined with a more permanent health plan. Reversing disease and improving one’s health is like peeling an onion, one layer at a time. Just 1 improvement at a time will certainly see you moving in the right direction. The rule of thumb in chronic health conditions is the longer a health concern has been present and the more severe the condition the longer it will take to improve.
If you have more long-standing health concerns then a longer cleanse may be suggested. People can comfortably cleanse for up to 30 days or more under the guidance of a health care professional.
It is also important to remember that the preparation period is also a big part of your cleanse. By preparing yourself as suggested you are more likely to get the very best results quickly and successfully.
For long-term health benefits it is highly advisable to include regular juices in your diet on a permanent basis. In clinic and over the years I have seen vast health improvements with clients that aim to drink 1-2 juices per day in combination with a healthy well balanced diet.
How often can I cleanse?
Here is a general guideline to follow for the frequency of your juice cleanses. It is also important to keep in mind that people are different and these recommendations may not suit everyone.
- 1 day juice cleanse – once a week
- 3 days juice cleanse - once a month
- 6 days juice cleanse – once every 2 months
- 7-10 days juice cleanse - once every 3 months
Please note: If you are taking medications and/or have a health condition if is advisable to check with your health care professional or speak with one of our Naturopaths.